Tuesday, February 4, 2020

SMILE BECAUSE IT HAPPENED

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” -A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)

Sometime in the early part of my second week someone leaked the news. There was to be a party Friday night. This was somewhat of a surprise party, but not a well kept one. The party was not in my honor; however, it functioned in part as a farewell party for me.

The location of the party was the side patio area of the rehabilitation center. I was told to be there at five… or six. In India time I don’t think it really mattered as long as I was there. After whiling away the time writing for this blog, I managed to show up somewhere between five… or six. The band had setup shop and was making final adjustments to the set list and sound system. [I will take a moment to interrupt myself here to talk about the band. The band, Flowing Karma, is a group of guys who have all experienced various levels of spinal cord injury. They seem to seek inspiration from one another, not to mention they are very talented. On Republic Day (January 26th) they were invited to perform at the Governor’s house during a formal celebration ceremony. We were lucky to have them serenade us through the night, even if I couldn’t understand a word sung.]

Flowing Karma
A few chairs had been setup, and space had been created for more wheelchairs which would be arriving soon. An impressive pile of wood had made an appearance for a bonfire later in the evening, and a white-hot fire was already ablaze in a 50-gallon drum at the far end of the patio. I later learned that would be where our dinner was cooked.

After some brief announcements and well-wishes, the band began to play. Food began to trickle throughout the patio in various forms of fire-roasted amazingness. As the patio filled with patients, their family, and staff, my heart began to fill with mirth and gratitude. Shikha flited about the space zinging from one corner to the next enticing people on to the dance floor. We laughed. We danced. We dinned. We shared the warmth of a blazing bonfire. We tied the invisible bonds of the soul just a little bit tighter.

Bonfire blazes
Friends dancing by the fire!

Premjit

Fireside. There was NOT a lot of patio space for the size of fire we had roaring. First time we had been warm all week!
Yes, in part the party was to wish me farewell and as such I couldn’t help but declare war on the emotions of sorrow at the thought of leaving. Yet again, India has stolen a little bit more of my heart. When I entered this adventure, I wasn’t sure what to expect or how things would shake out (“Would this be my last trip here? Would my pilgrimages to India be over after this?” All these questions raced through my mind as I prepared for the trip.) But without a doubt my heart is still connected to India.
 
The food fire


This is marinated soya that was skewered and roasted over the fire. The campus where the CSR is located is owned by the local gurdwara (of the Sikh religion) and therefore no meat is allowed on campus with the exception of eggs so that the spinal cord patients can get appropriate protein for skin healing. This tasted like the most tender chicken ever! And the spices were incredible! I can taste it now just thinking about it. 

Cooking the potatoes and broccoli over the fire.

Soya on the 'que.

We had three different types of traditional bread: tandoori butter naan, missi roti, and tandoori roti. The hit our plates directly off the fire and smeared with butter. Well worth burning your fingers over!


Now that I have seen a bit more diversity throughout the country, I get asked frequently what part of India I like best. Initially that seemed like a challenging question as there are so many things to consider: food, climate, density, air pollution, etc. But the answer is really quite simple: the people. It isn’t the climate of the North or the food of the South. It is the people—the friendships I have formed and the bonds I have strengthened over the years— that I have grown to love so much.

I don’t know what tomorrow holds therefore I make no promises for my return to India. But if it were left wholly up to me, I’d be back in a heartbeat and I’d stay a little longer in this mystifying country that has captured my affection. As I sit here in the Dubai airport waiting for the flight that will return me to my homeland, I am fighting back the tears with a little more bravery and a “smile because it happened.” I was lucky enough to be wrapped in yet another life experience that makes saying goodbye so hard.

“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment