Saturday, January 19, 2013

A DECISION

One of the most common reactions I get, from both staff and students at CMC as well as international students, when I tell them that I will be here for three months is, “Wow. That’s a really long time. You are brave.” What I think they mean is, “Good grief! You must be bonkers!” I think their reaction stems from the challenges that international students have in learning how to live in this foreign land. I may be writing this prematurely, as I have only lived here for two weeks, but I have determined that at some point you have to make a decision to enjoy life here.

I could make a list of all the little things that are uncomfortable or less than enjoyable, but that would only serve to spoil my attitude. I am here for three months. I cannot afford to have a bad attitude for that long. I simply wouldn't survive. It is my belief that you have to decide to love it here.

I have decided that the loud noises serve to prove my ears still function. I have decided that the smells remind me that my olfactory nerves have not let me down. I have decided that I will enjoy the temperature because for once I am not cold. I have decided that the Indian food is perfect for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Some of these decisions are easy, others… not so much.

Whether you live in the US of A, Europe, or India, each day presents you with a decision to make. Are you going to enjoy your life today? Are you going to choose to see the glass as half full, regardless of how clean it is? And more importantly, are you going to live for Him today? The best way to truly enjoy my day is to recognize it as a gift from my Savior—a chance to live another day for Him. I’m not sure I needed to come to India to learn this lesson, but apparently this Indian classroom is where the lesson became real for me. I pray that I will be able to live this daily regardless of my geographical location. 

Enjoying life!

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Em! I'm reading all of these great posts by the way, I just don't comment on too many because it always makes me "prove I'm not a robot" and I always (apparently) prove I am. It takes FOREVER to get an option I can actually type in. Sign. Sometimes it's hard to be me.

    ReplyDelete