Monday, January 28, 2013

HOSPITAL NUANCES

As I experienced both A2 and Q3, I picked up a few little unique characteristics about the hospital that you normally don’t see in the US of A. Here is a brief list of things I found interesting. I’m sure this list will grow as I learn more.
The CMC logo with motto: "Not to be ministered upon, but to minister."

  • Only two people are allowed to stay with the patient during the day. Caveat: patient’s with traumatic brain injury are allowed up to four during the agitated state for behavior management purposes.
  • Only women (and only one) are allowed to stay with the patient overnight. This is not just a CMC policy, but a general “Indian hospital” rule.
  • Music is piped throughout the hospital. It is non-religious, instrument only music; however, I did hear Amazing Grace played in Q3. Sunday chapel services are also played throughout the hospital.
  • The doctors and some staff carry around their personal belongings in a shoulder bag while on rounds. It causes me to think that the doctors are doing their rounds quickly before the head out the door. This is not the case, it just feels like it.
  • RTA is one of the most common acronyms I have picked up. It means Road Traffic Accident.
  • There are areas of the hospital that seem to be in perpetual construction phase. I know this not because there is plastic draped across the hallway with “construction zone” tape everywhere, but because there are men mixing cement and hauling bricks through and in the corridors.
'bout right. ;)
I also wanted to share a little bit able the CMC culture. I can’t remember if I have touched on this or not, but be patient with me if I have. CMC stands for Christian Medical College. This institution is all of these.

Christian: This facility is not just Christian in name, but also in practice. Scripture verses are painted on the walls, written on reader boards, and printed on wall hangings. Before the day starts, each department begins with fifteen minutes of praise and prayer. The CMC does not require participation from staff and students; however, they ask that you respect their beliefs. Not all staff and students are of the Christian faith, but many of them are and all seem to respect the culture that was established long ago.

Medical: Although the resources may be tight, the medical care of this institution is remarkable. I am not a medical expert (though sometimes I like to pretend that I am), but from what I have seen in the therapy world and what I have heard from other medical students, this facility provides excellent healthcare. The fact that the CMC treats people from all over India and some surrounding countries, also speaks to is credibility.

College: Many of the people I work with here are students. When I am introduced to new staff, I try to glance at their name tags 1.) to see how they spell their name so I will have at least a small chance of remembering it, and 2.) to see if they are students or otherwise. I have been impressed with the level of education the students receive at this institution. I cannot speak of the medical or other allied healthcare students, but the occupational therapy students know their stuff. I am humbled by their skills and knowledge. Part of that maybe magnified by their ability to actually communicate with the patients when I just have to nod and smile, but I do find them to be highly skilled therapists.

It has been a tremendous pleasure to work in an environment that is tied to Christian beliefs, medically strong and stable, and intellectually stimulating. I have much to be thankful for, and twice as much to learn. 

2 comments: