Tuesday, January 8, 2013

INTERNATIONAL NETWORKING

Right before I headed to the meet-and-greet, a “veteran” international student proceeded to damped my mood by telling me that it was just a fundraising opportunity and REALLY boring. He was wrong, or at least he had the wrong perspective. I am so glad I went.

I met five students from University of Rhode Island. It is very exciting to be around US peoples! Sarah and her husband Jason have brought over Jessica, Monica and Kaitlin. All but Jason are physical therapists; and Sarah is now longer a student but practicing PT. Jessica, Monica, and Kaitlin will be here for two weeks. I am looking forward to getting to know them.

I was also able to really meet the seven students from Indonesia living at my hotel. Bobi, Anthony, Janet, Melissa, Carissa, Patricia, and I can’t for the life of me remember the last girl’s name. There are four students from Singapore who also moved into my hotel; Lip, Eshley, Matt, and Sung (I think that is his name). They are all very friendly and I’m looking forward to hanging out with them.

At the meeting we were taught a bit about CMC, Vellore, and India in general. We were also tutored in typical Indian attire and taught how to wear a sari. Apparently saris are worn differently depending upon where you are from. We were taught the Tamil way. Also, to my OT peeps, how do you FIM donning/doffing a sari? ;)

And then you wrap it this way

And tuck it this way
Displaying all the beauty

Another sari donned
My Indonesian friends
It was an altogether enjoyable evening. Thanks again for your prayers and encouragement.  

1 comment:

  1. Will you be wearing one on a regular basis? They look like a lot of fun to wear!!

    ReplyDelete