Tuesday, January 8, 2013

THE COLOR OF VELLORE

Sunday afternoon I was able to spend some time wandering the streets of Vellore with my camera. This post will mostly be photos, as photos are worth a thousand words, right? Vellore is much like the other areas of India I have seen. One of the striking differences between the people of Vellore and people of Kolkata, in my opinion, is that there are fewer beggars in Vellore. I remember people with their hands held out tapping constantly at my elbows in Kolkata. There is some of that in Vellore, but not much. I did have a number of children tapping me asking me to take their pictures. I loved to do so, however I wish I was able to capture the moment where I show them the picture I took. Their dirty little faces absolutely light up and the giggles spill out.

Vellore is a nice little city, but as Divya said, it is blessed with the CMC. It would be nothing without it. The more I learn about the CMC, the more I believe this to be true. I think my “coverage” of the CMC will have to come in a few different posts. There is a lot to say, and I’m not really sure how to break it all up.

For now, here are a few shots of my home town. 
A view of one of the main streets from a pedestrian overpass
Flowers ready to be made into garlands
Pomegranates!

Tumeric and holy ash

Betal leaves ready for consumption

Scene of the market

A Sunday afternoon game of cards

Flower vendors


Pomegranate vendor  
Unsure of my presence 

Selling color, smiling brightly


Rockstar!

Tears of a child

Hanging roots

St. John's Church at the Fort

Cricket at the Fort

Temple at the Fort


Stopping for some juice

Street scene

Fruit and vegetables!

Bikes!
My friend live down this street 
At this house

7 comments:

  1. Emily, these are fantastic! Pictures are the one thing I always wish I had more of whenever I look back over my years in Africa. Take lots, even when it becomes "normal", you'll be so glad later on that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are stunning!
    - Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Em!!! I absolutely love all the bright colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Emily, ( though it is 4 in the afternoon here in Washington )
    Your pictures are very impressive. You have a unique style and seem to be in places where you can capture real life in your new ( and temporary ) home in India. I will not show my ignorance by asking questions, since I cannot keep pace with all the posts of all the friends that are special to me. So, I will just say, I enjoy peeking into a country I doubt I will ever visit in person.
    there is one question...I have my own little blog, where I post random adventures, and for some reason I cannot upload photos anymore. It looks like we use the same "E" service, so maybe you can explain....when I go to the prompt that used to open up my files on my computer, it now just says..upload. Click and nothing opens.
    I will still love you if you cannot take the time, or do not understand my description.
    Be sure and know, that I have prayed for you and your safety. You are a precious lady.
    Enough!
    Blessings to you
    Kathy Tanner
    January 8, 2013
    Proverbs 8:11 wisdom is more precious than rubies
    ( and available for all )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily...I figured it out! Needed a different "browser ".
      Technology...crazy, just like me :)
      Consider yourself hugged
      Kathy
      January 10, 2013
      Proverbs 10:31 The mouth of the just brings forth wisdom
      ( and truth )

      Delete
  5. Stunning pictures. As always. Can you snap shots of/inside the buses?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that pink house! Ted says your stomach should be doing fine with all that pepto bismal around!

    ReplyDelete